Recently functional nutrition has become increasingly popular as an effective approach to healing a variety of health issues. After all, functional nutrition assesses the person as a whole and finds the root of the problem. This approach makes it extremely effective and efficient.
Functional nutrition aims to address the imbalances in the body by restoring function through food, lifestyle and supplements. But how exactly does functional nutrition work? What are the benefits of working with a functional nutritionist?
1. How It Works
So now that we have a basic understanding of what function nutrition is, how does it work? Well functional nutrition is all about balance. The main goal is to figure out what is moving too fast or too slow, what is out of order, and then restore balance to those processes. In general functional medicine focuses on two things:
- Patient Centered Care: Functional medicine focuses on patient centered care and understanding the person as a whole. This means an evaluation of your medical history, lifestyle, and diet. By assessing the person as a whole, practitioners can tailor the treatment to address your unique needs.
- Integrative, Science Based Approach: Functional medicine considers the complex web of interactions in the patient’s history, physiology, and lifestyle that can lead to illness. All things are considered in functional medicine: mind, body, and spirit.
2. The Benefits
There are also many benefits that come with working with a functional nutritionist. Including a personalized health plan and helping to restore balance in your body. Here are some of the top benefits of functional nutrition:
- Deal With More Than Symptoms: Function nutritionists understand why a body is out of balance and what needs to be done for the body through diet, exercise, stress management, proper sleep and supplementation to help bring your body back into balance. Rather than treat disease, they help you to change your lifestyle in a way that promotes optimal health.
- Tailored Plan: Another major benefit of functional nutrition is that practitioners can create personalized plans for your specific needs. After all everyone is different, there is no one size fits all approach when it comes to getting healthy. And functional nutrition takes that into account to create a plan fit for you.
- Improve Your Overall Health: Functional nutrition often involves making changes to your lifestyle that can improve your overall health. This can mean cleaning up your diet, eliminating processed foods, gluten, dairy, and any other foods that appear to be reactive. Additionally specific supplements to improve digestion of foods, restore good bacteria, and decrease digestive spasms are often introduced. All of these changes help improve your health and lifestyle.
The Functional Nutrition Takeaway
In short, functional nutrition is a dynamic process that helps restore your body to it’s optimal health. Functional nutrition takes everything into account in order to help address the root of the problem. We strive to understand you as a whole, and not focus solely on treating symptoms.
Interested in learning how to best explore your health prctices in an effort to experience the vibrant life you desire? If so, I encourage you to check out my website. I offer a variety of programs all dedicated to helping you live a healthier life, from the inside out. My approach is positive and compassionate, my practice is based on the principles of Functional Medicine. Together we’ll take the deep dive into learning WHO you are as an eater, addressing the underlying cause of your symptoms. You’ll learn how to master the skills needed to Live the Change…Be the Change…See the Change.