FOR THE LENTIL SALAD:
1 package cut up butternut squash (cut into ½ pieces)
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces
3 small beets, peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces (use golden and red for visual impact)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 sprigs Thyme
1 sprig Rosemary, cut in half
2 cups brown or green lentils
2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1 bay leaf
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt, to taste
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
FOR THE SHERRY VINAIGRETTE:
¼ cup sherry vinegar, more to taste
2 teaspoons sea salt
½ cup extra-virgin olive oils, more as needed
2 heads radicchio
2 scallions, thinly sliced (whites and greens)
Parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
Sea salt, to taste
Cracked black pepper, to taste
1 orange, halved and seeded
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place vegetables in one layer on one or two large rimmed baking pans, toss with olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Place Thyme and Rosemary on top of vegetables, cover with foil and roast for 25 minutes. Remove foil and roast for 30 to 40 minutes more, until vegetables are tender and golden all over.
- In a large pot, combine lentils, 6 cups water, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard and salt. Then whisk in oil.
- Drain lentils and discard bay leaf; keep or discard garlic as you like. Toss lentils with half of the sherry vinaigrette while still warm. Add more salt, olive oil and vinegar as needed.
- Toss radicchio with enough of the remaining vinaigrette to lightly coat it and arrange on a platter. Combine lentils and roasted vegetables, adding more vinaigrette to taste; spoon mixture on top of radicchio. Garnish with scallions, parsley, sea salt and black pepper. Squeeze orange juice over lentils.
**this recipe makes enough for leftovers, which will keep for 5 days BUT store it without radicchio as it will get soggy in the fridge
Adapted from Melissa Clark, The Root of the Matter