- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon, about 1 1/4 pounds
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded and quartered or cut into sixths
- 2 to 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Generous 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Thin celery slices or sticks for garnish
- Good Quality Feta Cheese, crumbled, for additional garnish
- Working in batches, purée all of the ingredients, except the celery garnish and feta, in a blender for two minutes or longer until frothy and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, making sure you have used enough salt and lemon juice for a vivid flavor. Transfer to a bowl, and chill for several hours. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve, garnishing each bowl with sprinkles of feta and thinly sliced celery or, if serving in glasses, with a thin lengthwise slice of celery stick.
- Advance preparation: You can serve this soup the day after you make it. Leftovers are good for two or three days.
Adapted from Martha Rose Shulman’s adaptation for New York Times Cooks